Did you know that almost half the energy used inside your home goes towards the heating and cooling system? Now, more than ever, is the time to start making smart decisions involving your HVAC system, so that you can save money on your monthly bill while still being comfortable inside your home.
So what can you do to reduce the amount of energy used inside your home? Follow these energy saving tips for winter to get started!
- Turn down the thermostat. You should start by setting the thermostat to 68° during the winter. This is still a comfortable temperature and has the potential to save you $70 annually. When leaving the house during the day for work or errands, you should lower the temperature 5 degrees to maximize savings!
- Clean the air filters. A blockage in the airflow increases the amount of energy used throughout your home. By replacing and/or cleaning the air filters regularly can ultimately save up to 5% of the heating costs each season.
- Reduce the hot water heater temperature. By reducing the water heater temperature to 120°, the water heater doesn’t have to work so hard. This decreases the amount of energy used, but still keeps the water warm enough to use!
- Use cold water for laundry. If you have a washing machine inside your home, start using cold water instead of warm. By doing so, you could potentially save about $40 per year!
- Insulate your home. The most cost effective way to do this is to insulate the attic, unfinished basement walls, and/or crawlspaces. If done correctly, you could save up to 20% per year on your heating and cooling costs.
If you need help with your HVAC system, contact the experts of Delaware at Gold Star Services!