While HVAC systems are one of the greatest modern comforts in our homes, they are not immune to failure: improper installation, lack of maintenance, and the wear and tear of an old system can lead to dangerous malfunctions. If you notice any of the following signs in your system, call your Delaware HVAC repair company immediately.
- Rotten Egg Smell – If your home runs on natural gas, you should pay close attention to this smell as it means you have a natural gas leak. Your furnace will put off a slight odor, but the smell should not be prominent. If you suspect a gas leak, leave your home immediately: natural gas explosions account for dozens of deaths each year. Call the gas company to come out and inspect your home and stay with friends or relatives until they deem your home safe.
- Electrical Smell – Appliances give off a distinctive odor when they are overheating. If this smell is coming from your HVAC system, the motor may be malfunctioning or the electrical wiring could be damaged. This smell means that damage is being done to your system, and could even cause a fire in your home. You should turn off your unit immediately with the master shutoff and contact your local Delaware HVAC technician for repairs.
- Moldy or Musty Smell – Air conditioning units generate a lot of moisture inside the system through condensation buildup, but it should stay contained in the unit. However, if any of this moisture gets into the ductwork, it can quickly lead to mold growth. A Delaware HVAC professional can provide a thorough cleaning of your ductwork, find the source of the moisture, and make any necessary repairs to keep your family safe.
- Burning Smell – While a furnace is designed to burn, a burning smell should never be detectable. The most common reason for this odor is leaking oil being heated by the motor. You should turn off your furnace by the shutoff valve and turn off the oil by the switch on the supply line. Your home will now be without heat, so contact a Delaware HVAC repair company immediately. Gold Star offers emergency services to get your HVAC system up and running as soon as possible.
- Water Leaks – Some problems can only be detected by sight. A leaking air conditioner could mean a frozen evaporator coil or a broken condensate pump. Leaks from your furnace could mean a damaged condensation line or a clogged drain. Aside from being a slipping hazard and providing a breeding ground for mold, puddles can indicate a serious problem with your system that needs immediate attention.
Gold Star Services, Delaware’s Most Trusted HVAC Repair Company
From routine maintenance to emergency repairs, Gold Star’s expert repair technicians are available to keep your HVAC system running smoothly. For all your Delware HVAC needs, call Gold Star at 1-302-485-1649.