Have you ever found yourself asking: when should I put the heat on in my house? As temperatures drop, you may no longer need to run your A/C unit to keep your space cool, but the weather may not seem to warrant heating the home quite yet. So what do you do? In this post, the experts at Gold Star Services offer some general guidelines for when to turn on the heat.
When Should I Put the Heat On in My House?
The temperature at which you should turn on your heating can vary greatly based on the following factors:
- How well your house is insulated.
- How well your house is sealed.
- Medical needs of occupants.
- Outdoor temperatures.
- Your own comfort levels.
Don’t Wait Too Long!
For many homeowners, the biggest decision factor is saving on energy bills. While it might seem prudent to wait until the last possible moment to turn on your heat, this might actually be counterproductive. Here’s why:
- A sudden temperature drop can cause water pipes to freeze and burst.
- A home with very low indoor temperatures will take longer to bring to comfortable conditions. It will require your furnace to work harder and use up additional energy. Not only does this negate savings from waiting longer, it puts unnecessary strain on your system.
What You Can Do Instead
The following tips can help you save on energy costs:
- Invest in a programmable thermostat. This allows you to set a schedule for your heating system to allow for lower temperatures while you are away or sleeping, and to raise temperatures to a comfortable level for your return.
- Insulate your home well. This includes having ductwork inspected for leaks and making sure they are well-sealed.
- Have your furnace and heating system inspected, tuned up and cleaned annually by a professional.
How Gold Star Services Can Help
Gold Star Services prides itself on the excellent workmanship of our skilled technicians. We are proudly backed by the Google Guarantee as a result of proving our business to be reliable, trustworthy and professional. Gold Star offers repair, replacement and maintenance services in the areas of heating, air conditioning and water heaters. Call 302-376-7677 today to get started with Gold Star Services!