Summer is over and that can only mean one thing, winter is vastly approaching. Preparing your for the winter months sooner, rather than later is always best. There is a wide range of simple yet crucial components to ensure that you are ready for the seasons to change.
So what can you do to prepare for winter? Follow these simple tips below to get started.
- Adjust the thermostat setting to heat. It may sound like the most obvious choice, however many home owners forget this very simple process as the season’s change, so it’s important to change and maintain this setting throughout the winter months.
- Replace/clean your filter. A dirty filter will restrict your homes airflow and makes the system work hard than it needs to, so it’s important to replace and/or clean your filter frequently, at least once or twice a month, to ensure a comfortable temperature for you and your family.
- Change the thermostat. If your home is still using an outdated thermostat system, now is the time for an upgrade. Digital hardware is much more effective and allow to adjust the heat automatically, which is great for when no one is home.
- Clean your air ducts. A clean air duct reduces allergy related health problems while also improving the airflow throughout your home. A simple way to maintain a clean air duct is to remove the vent covers and vacuum the outer area yourself.
- Replace damaged weather stripping. Weather stripping is important because it keeps your heated air in and the cold air out. Inspect around your doors and windows before winter is here and replace what is necessary to ensure that the heat stays inside your home where it belongs.
If you need help with your HVAC system, contact the experts at Gold Star Services!