As the chill of winter recedes and we no longer need the heat to run, it can be tough to know how to set thermostat in spring. In this post, the experts at Gold Star Services provide some guidance.
How to Set Thermostat in Spring for Efficiency
Even when the temperature feels comfortable enough to leave your unit off, you might notice your home feeling humid. That’s because our HVAC units remove moisture from the air. If you notice increased humidity in the home, it might be worth running your unit at a higher temperature for the benefits of dehumidifying the space. Here are a few guidelines for thermostat settings:
- Set your thermostat at a comfortable temperature. The closer you keep this setting to the outdoor temperature, the lower your cooling bill will be.
- Set your thermostat at a higher temperature while you are away. This applies to vacations or day trips, as well as long periods during the day, like while you’re at work.
- Invest in a programmable thermostat for maximum efficiency. That way, you can program your unit according to your schedule, letting it run at a higher temperature while you’re gone. Set the thermostat to start cooling your home down roughly half an hour before your return. Avoid big temperature differences if you have pets at home—it’s always important to keep them safe and comfortable.
- Small changes, such as raising the temperature by one degree, can help you save on utility costs without causing discomfort.
- Avoid setting your thermostat to a colder-than-normal temperature simply to speed up the process. This causes unnecessary wear and tear on your unit and leads to excessive cooling and a higher energy bill.
- A good rule of thumb is to set your thermostat at 75°F in the spring and make small adjustments from there to find a comfortable temperature.
Schedule a Spring Tune-Up!
Schedule a visit from a qualified HVAC technician before the warm weather hits. Here at Gold Star Services, our expert techs will clean and inspect your system for damage or worn parts. Keep your A/C running smoothly and prevent costly problems down the line with a spring tune-up.
Gold Star Services offers trustworthy, reliable and professional help. Our services include heating, cooling and water heater repair, replacement and maintenance. Call 302-376-7677 to get started with Gold Star Services today!