A cool environment is important for getting a good night’s sleep, but how much does it cost to run AC all night? In this post, Gold Star Services takes a look at what factors into cooling costs and provides tips on how to keep those costs down.
How Much Does It Cost to Run A/C All Night?
On average, the cost to run a reverse cycle air conditioner comes in at around $0.25 to $0.40 an hour. This number can vary due to a number of factors and differences between households. Let’s take a closer look at a few of these variables:
- Thermostat Settings: Costs can vary greatly depending on how you set your thermostat. Setting it to a higher temperature will keep costs down, while cooling at lower temperatures for longer periods of time will increase operating costs and increase wear and tear on your system.
- Outdoor Temperatures: When outdoor conditions are extremely hot and humid, your system needs to work harder to cool your home, which increases energy costs. Even in the hottest summer months, temperatures drop at night, meaning it likely costs less to run your unit at night than it does in the daytime.
- Home Size: Larger spaces cost more to heat and cool.
- Energy Efficiency of Unit: Some A/C units, especially newer models, are more energy efficient than others. This can greatly affect operating costs, as the unit will produce more cool air per unit of energy consumed
- HVAC System Maintenance: Regular maintenance and cleaning goes a long way toward saving on energy costs. A well-maintained unit is likely to run more efficiently than a neglected unit, and in addition to keeping costs down, regular A/C unit maintenance can improve indoor air quality.
The Night Shift
The following tips can help keep cooling costs down during the night:
- Use a Programmable or Digital Thermostat: These thermostats allow you to program various temperatures according to your schedule. Programming your unit to switch to a higher temperature during the coolest hours of the night can help save on energy costs. The coolest hours of the night typically occur between 2AM and sunrise, with temperatures reaching a minimum around dawn.
- Schedule Annual Maintenance: Having an HVAC professional inspect and clean your unit can ensure it runs efficiently, as well as lengthen the life of the unit, saving you money in the long term as well.
Gold Star Services prides itself on the excellent workmanship of our skilled technicians. We are proudly backed by the Google Guarantee as a result of proving our business to be reliable, trustworthy and professional. Gold Star offers repair, replacement and maintenance services in the areas of heating, air conditioning and water heaters. Call 302-376-7677 today to get started with Gold Star Services!