One of the most common reasons that homeowners call for professional AC repair is a clogged AC drain line, or condensate line. A clogged condensate line can cause overflows and leaks into your home, which can mean costly water damage. Fortunately, keeping an AC drain line clear is easy to do with regular maintenance. In this week’s blog, Gold Star Services explains why condensate lines get clogged, and the best way to clean AC drain line.
Why Do AC Drain Lines Get Clogged?
The drain line collects condensation from your air conditioner. Since it is always moist, it is the perfect environment for bacteria and mold to thrive. Over time, materials like algae, mildew, and even fungi and small plants can grow and block the line. This causes water to back up into the AC drain pan, which can overflow into your home. Keeping the drain line clear with regular maintenance is the only way to prevent clogs.
What is the Best Way to Clean AC Drain Line?
There are various methods for keeping the drain line clear and removing clogs. One easy method that homeowners can perform on their own is using a vinegar solution.
- Turn off your air conditioner at the thermostat and at the breaker.
- Locate your condensate drain line. Your drain line is a PVC pipe attached to the wall of your house, near the outdoor AC unit.
- Identify the access point on the drain line inside. Most drain lines will have a T-shaped vent tee with a cap. Remove the cap and inspect inside the line for any blockage or debris.
- Flush the line with regular white distilled vinegar. Add ¼ cup of vinegar to the drain line through the opening where the cap was removed. Let the vinegar sit for 30 minutes.
- Carefully flush the pipe out with water to ensure everything is flowing freely.
- Repeat every 30 days during the summer to keep the line clear!
What if the Drain Line is Clogged?
If your drain line is badly clogged and you cannot dislodge the debris with a vinegar solution, it’s time to call a professional HVAC company. Your technician will be able to unclog the condensate line safely, without damaging the internal components of your air conditioning system.
Call Gold Star Services for Expert A/C Maintenance and Repair
At Gold Star Services, we are experts at diagnosing and repairing AC issues. Contact us at (302) 376-7677 to talk about any problems you’ve been having with your AC, or to schedule regular maintenance that will keep your system running efficiently.