Is your AC making humming noise inside of your home? In this post, the experts at Gold Star Services explore several causes for humming sounds coming from A/C units, and how to fix it.
Some degree of noise, including humming, pops and even quiet rattling can be perfectly normal, especially when your unit first kicks on. When these noises persist and become loud enough to the point of distraction and inconvenience, you’ll want to get to the bottom of it.
AC Making Humming Noise: Common Causes
- Loose or Worn Parts/Components: Your A/C unit has many components working in sync to cool your home. Over time, these parts can become loose or worn down and cause humming, rattling or buzzing noises.
- A Frozen Unit: Impeded air flow due to dirty air filters or low levels of refrigerant can cause the evaporator coils in your unit to freeze over. This can lead to a buzzing or humming sound.
- Condenser Fan Motor: The outdoor condenser unit of an A/C system uses a fan to expel hot air. If this fan’s motor seizes up, power continues to flow through it and encounters resistance. This can create a humming sound which may even be heard inside the home.
- Electrical Problems: Faulty or loose wiring can create humming or buzzing sounds. It’s wise to have this issue looked at by a professional right away.
- A Faulty Circuit Breaker: A circuit breaker that doesn’t trip when overloaded can produce humming. To avoid damage to your system, turn it off immediately and call an HVAC technician.
Call a Professional
In some cases, keeping up with regular maintenance like cleaning the unit and changing dirty air filters can fix problems associated with humming noises. Other causes, like faulty fan motors, loose and worn components and electrical issues warrant professional diagnosis and repair. Have your unit looked at by a certified HVAC professional to determine the cause behind a humming or buzzing A/C unit and the most efficient way to fix it. Scheduling annual tune-ups can prevent many problems before they occur, saving you time and money in the long run.
Gold Star Services has a team of highly skilled HVAC technicians ready to help! Our services include heating, cooling and water heater repair, replacement and maintenance. Call 302-376-7677 to connect with Gold Star Services today!