In the summertime, our conditioners are our lifesavers. We love our conditioners! That is, until we see our electric bills. The amount of money we spend on cooling our homes can be outrageous! What can you do about it? Living without air conditioning simply isn’t an option, so your trusty Delaware HVAC company is giving you a list of tips and tricks you can use save money and still have an air-conditioned home. Check it out!
1. Seal air leaks. Don’t let that precious cold air escape. If there are air leaks in your windows, your HVAC system will have to work harder to cool your home, which will raise your electric bill. Sealing air leaks will improve your cooling system and keep it running longer and more effectively.
2. Replace air filters. A fresh, clean filter will keep your air conditioning system at its peak performance. A dirty air filter can decrease the efficiency of your cooling system by 2%, so keep your air filters clean! Filters should be changed at the turn of the season, for best results.
3. Adjust your thermostat. You don’t need to keep your thermostat down so low when you go out. Before you leave your house, raise the thermostat five to ten degrees, and then change it when you come back. You can save 10% a year on cooling costs by adjusting your thermostat. Seems worth it to us!
4. Close your shades. This might seem like an obvious one, but you’ll be surprised at the difference it makes in your home! According to the U.S. Department of Energy, closing your shades or drawing the blinds can reduce heat gain to as much as 45%. You won’t have to crank your air conditioner up as high when you keep your home in the dark!
5. Get your air conditioner inspected regularly. We can’t stress this one enough! Inspections will improve energy efficiency, which saves you money and guarantees a long-lasting air conditioner. Dust and dirt buildup will affect your system’s operating efficiency, so don’t go too long without an inspection. An experienced Delaware HVAC expert can detect small issues by regularly inspecting your units. This can save you money as well, since these issues could turn into bigger, more expensive problems that could have been avoided if caught earlier.
Contact Gold Star for dependable and professional heating and air conditioning services in Delaware and Pennsylvania. We guarantee that you will be impressed by our experienced, courteous, and highly skilled HVAC technicians.