As the temperature slowly starts to decrease, you may start to see an increase in your utility bill. During the fall season is the perfect time to start winterizing your Delaware home before temperatures reach freezing. So how can you prepare for the winter months? Below is a list of 5 tips and tricks to protect you and your family from the winter storms.
- Test your heating system. Set the temperature to 80 degrees for testing purposes. Once the furnace kicks on you should feel warm air circulating within minutes. If everything is working properly, adjust the thermostat back to its normal settings.
- Don’t forget about the Air Conditioning Unit. Even though this particular unit won’t be needed during the winter months, it’s important to protect it so when the seasons change it is ready to go! This can be done by clearing out any debris and then placing a cover over the unit to prevent rust or freezing.
- Use draft guards. In order to ensure your heat stays inside, place draft guards under the doors. They are relatively inexpensive, but if you are looking to save more, a rolled up towel under the door will also do the trick!
- Set ceiling fans to turn clockwise. Ceiling fans are ideal for the summertime, but they also come in handy in the winter time too! If you set the fans to move in a clockwise motion, this will produce warm air towards the floor.
- Install some plastic. By using a window insulation kit, you are taking the extra step to ensure that your heat stays inside. Plastic around your windows will prevent any drafts and is essentially invisible if installed properly.
If you need help with your heating needs, contact the experts of Delaware at Gold Star Services!