HVAC systems can make a lot of noises, but most of these are normal – such as minor pops from the ductwork or humming of the furnace blower as it runs. But certain noises signal something may be seriously wrong with your furnace and that it needs the immediate attention of your Newark HVAC technician. Ignoring these noises could lead to more costly repairs or a whole system breakdown. If you hear any of the following noises, your furnace is trying to tell you something’s wrong:
- Loud rattling, thumping, clanking, or scraping noises from your furnace – These sounds generally indicate a problem with the blower assembly or the motor.
- Rattling usually means a component is coming loose and should be repaired before it breaks or disconnects completely.
- Thumping indicates that something has broken or come loose and is now hitting other components.
- Scraping can mean the blower wheel has come loose or broken and is now scraping against the blower casing.
If you hear thumping or scraping from your furnace, you should shut off your system immediately to prevent more damage and call your Newark HVAC technician for repairs.
- Loud bang when the furnace turns on – This is generally caused by dirty furnace burners. The dirt delays ignition, causing a build-up of gas. When the gas finally ignites, the overabundance produces a loud bang. This is a noise that should never be ignored: first, it is dangerous, and second, these small explosions can crack the heat exchanger (which is an expensive repair). Regular furnace maintenance will ensure your burners are clean and your furnace is safe.
- Rattling in the outside compressor – When the fan in your compressor begins to rattle, you are facing a serious problem – and the louder the sound, the more serious the problem may be. It can be an indication of anything from loose hardware to a failing motor. Humming noises may mean the starting capacitor has begun to fail or the motor is going bad. If the noise is more like a scream, the compressor itself may be failing. The compressor is the heart of your system and should be serviced by a qualified Newark HVAC technician right away.
- Squealing, whining, and screeching – These noises could be caused by:
- A loose, slipping, or fraying blower belt
- Shaft bearings that need oil
- Malfunctioning blower motor
While these problems are not as severe as those listed above, if they are not repaired they can lead to a total breakdown of your Newark HVAC system.
Gold Star: the #1 HVAC Repair Company in Newark
If your furnace is making unusual noises, call the experts at Gold Star today. Our technicians are available to make sure your HVAC system is repaired quickly and your family isn’t left in the cold.