Often we don’t realize how noisy our homes are until there is a power outage and our appliances stop running. All appliances – including our furnaces – produce a certain amount of noise during normal operation. However, if your furnace is making a loud humming or buzzing noise, it may be in need of a service visit from your Newark HVAC repair technician. There are several reasons your furnace may be making this noise, from a need for simple maintenance to failing equipment.
5 Reasons Why Your Furnace Is Humming
- The blower motor – This is the most common source of humming and buzzing noises in a furnace. It may simply be that the motor doesn’t have enough lubrication, but it can also mean that a motor failure is imminent. If you notice the hum when the motor is slowing down, that can indicate an amperage problem in the motor. This usually occurs when filters are not cleaned regularly, allowing dirt and debris to get inside the unit and damage its components. Call your Newark HVAC technician right away to schedule a maintenance visit.
- The transformer – While this is the least likely culprit, a failing transformer can hum as electrical current passes through it. If this is the case, your transformer will likely need to be replaced in the near future. You will want to replace the transformer before it fails, or your furnace will stop working.
- Loose equipment – In furnaces that are old or poorly maintained, equipment such as belts, nuts and bolts can become loose. If loosened equipment isn’t repaired it can lead to catastrophic failure of your furnace.
- Loose ductwork – Over time, the joints and seams in your home’s ventilation system can become loose, causing your ductwork to vibrate and hum. With a quick call to Gold Star, your ductwork can be secured and sealed, eliminating both vibration and air leaks.
- A failed capacitor – If your unit is on and making noise but the motor is not turning, your capacitor may have gone out. Call an HVAC technician in Newark to have the part repaired or replaced.
Gold Star, Newark’s #1 HVAC Repair Company
The best way to prevent furnace problems is with regular maintenance visits from an experienced Newark HVAC repair technician. Gold Star offers affordable maintenance plans that will keep your HVAC system running smoothly year-round, as well as convenient service times and experienced, professional technician.
Contact us today to schedule a service visit and be sure your furnace is ready for winter.